I dislike posters.
I said it. I meant it. I love charts we create together (hello, connections!) as well as student work being hung around the room. Posters... no, I'll pass.
There's many reasons for this aversion, but here are a few:
- I can never find the one I need when I need it.
- I can never remember the ones I have in my classroom.
- If I put them up before school begins or after school, the kids have no connection to them.
- I tune out posters around me, so I'm willing to bet the kids do as well (again, no connection).
- They take up valuable wall space.
As I've been cleaning out my room, I've been getting rid of a lot of old posters. When I come across one I like and want to use in the future, I take a picture of it before getting rid of it. Here are two poems I want to use, but posters I don't want to store:
Are my kids missing out on anything in my posterless classroom? Thoughts?